Aussie boxer Michael Zerafa threatens to KNOCK OUT commentator Ben Damon at wild press conference – and Paul Gallen thinks it’s hilarious
Aussie boxer Michael Zerafa threatens to knock out commentator Ben Damon
Ben Damon touched a nerve by referencing Zerafa’s controversial withdrawal
Zerafa will be fighting undefeated Italian Danelo ‘Dash’ Creati on November 23
Aussie boxer Michael Zerafa has sensationally threatened to knock out popular commentator Ben Damon at an explosive press conference – sending Paul Gallen into gales of laughter.
Zerafa will be fighting undefeated Italian Danelo ‘Dash’ Creati as the co-main event of the Paul Gallen vs Justin Hodges rematch on November 23 at the International Convention Centre in Sydney.
Aussie boxer Michael Zerafa has sensationally threatened to knock out popular commentator Ben Damon at an explosive press conference on Wednesday
Ben Damon (pictured left talking to Paul Gallen) couldn’t resist asking Zerafa about his controversial withdrawal 15 months ago against Tim Tszyu
Last year Zerafa pulled out of his highly anticipated bout with boxing Tim Tszyu because of concerns about Covid-19 restrictions, for which he received a mountain of criticism from fans and experts alike.
At Wednesday’s press event, commentator Ben Damon couldn’t resist asking the 30-year-old middleweight about his controversial withdrawal 15 months ago.
‘You gonna turn up this time?’ prodded Damon.
Zerafa laughed before proving that the question touched a nerve.
‘That’s a low blow, that one, but I’ll definitely be turning up, and once I knock out Creati, I might have to knock you out,’ he responded.
‘I might have to continue the bout. Once I continue the bout, I might have to continue a few more rounds with you.’
The remark had the audience and other fighters at the event in stitches – particularly Paul Gallen, who was seated next Zerafa.
Zerafa says he has ‘verbally agreed’ to a blockbuster showdown with Gennady Golovkin, a two-time unified champion, in Australia next March – once he gets past Creati.
The Italian will be no pushover, however, as he boasts a long and successful amateur career and an unblemished professional record of 8-0.
Zerafa (pictured fighting Issac Hardman) says he has ‘verbally agreed’ to a blockbuster showdown with Gennady Golovkin, a two-time unified champion, in Australia next March – once he gets past Creati
‘Look, every fight’s a risk,’ Zerafa said on Wednesday.
‘I wanted hard fights. I had a list to pick from and he was the top guy on that list so I picked him.’
Creati told Zerafa he was going to put him in ‘intensive care’ when they step into the ring on November 23.
‘I’m so slick, I’m too slick for him. He won’t catch me. I still have my nose straight after 20 years of boxing, 145 amateur fights and eight as a pro.
Zerafa (pictured knocking out Anthony Mundine in 2001) is currently ranked as the No.1 contender for the WBA middleweight world title
‘He doesn’t know nothing, that’s why I’m laughing inside because I love that he’s overestimating me.
‘Good luck to Michael because it’s going to be a big surprise for everybody.’
Zerafa is currently the No.1 contender for the WBA middleweight title.