Family rushed to hospital after suspected carbon monoxide poisoning from using charcoal barbecue to heat their home overnight
Family of six with carbon monoxide poisoning rushed to Westmead Hospital
Paramedics were called to Merryland’s house after reports of man with headache
They arrived to find the whole family sick after heating the house with charcoal barbecue
A family of six has been hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning after trying to heat their home with a portable barbecue.
Paramedics were called to Merrylands granny flat in western Sydney early Tuesday morning after an adult complained of a headache.
Upon arrival, they found four adults, two of whom were elderly, and two children in serious condition after trying to heat the house with a charcoal burner.
A family of six has been hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning after trying to heat their home with a portable barbecue (pictured)
They were all taken to Westmead Hospital after paramedics said they were showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning
Emergency services found it difficult to communicate with the family due to a language barrier, but several members showed paramedics a photo of the barbecue pointing them to the possible cause of the headache.
They had turned on the charcoal burner to heat the property and had fallen asleep as the poisonous fumes filled the grandmother’s flat.
Reporters who attended Tuesday morning say several members of the family were “very crooks” and were taken on beds.
All six were taken to Westmead Hospital in stable condition to be monitored after inhaling the gas overnight, while firefighters also visited the home to assess safety.
There have been several instances of people wanting to use stoves or burners to heat homes due to skyrocketing electricity prices in the winter months.